Convert visitors by minimising distractions, so they can pay full attention to the parts that matter.
Clutter comes in many forms. Mainly if…
- The copy is too long:
Visitors prefer to mix scanning and reading as they go through the website, so if the copy is too long they might struggle and give up.
- There is a lack of order and consistency:
Visitors need the website to be organised in a logical manner to be able to process the information easily.
- The Images and graphics are noisy:
Too many colours, moving images and distracting graphics also create clutter and can divert the visitor’s attention, causing frustration.
To avoid clutter:
- Keep to a consistent styling with a limited selection of colours and typographies.
- Use white space and dividers, generously.
- Create a visual hierarchy to help the visitor understand what’s important. Make crucial information and calls to action more prominent. Group related elements together.
- Avoid unnecessary animation.
- Use concise and clear language.